Start a new topic
Implemented

WaveForm as position slider

Like in SoundCloud, Beatport etc.

2 people like this idea

Upon each resize of the window, the waveform will be re-rendered with the new size.

I tested this case:

1) Neon maximized, played a file that was 4:04 long

2) Clicked in the middle marker > skipped to 02:00 (correct, since the major markers are minutes)

3) Resized the window

4) Clicked on the marker to the left of the middle marker, playback was playing from 03:00 (correct)

The markers are correct, you're right. I meant the waveform itself. 

See the screenshots, i made the window smaller and the silent ending is missing.

jpg
jpg

Can you please re-upload the before image?

When I download it, it get's broken just before the waveform appears.

ok, second upload

jpg
jpg

This can probably happen if the block is small so that it won't scale good.

It works like this:

1) We have a buffer with data based on the files length in seconds

2) Depending om the screenwidth, a step is calculated

3) Data is fetched on offset, starting at 0, then the buffer is increased by the step calculated in point 2 above

Therefore, assume that the file has a waveform buffer of 33359 units and the width is 1940, then the step will be: ~17.19

If you instead have a width of 800, the step will be: ~41.7

When point 3 is performed, the following will happen with a width of 1940:

dataOffset = 0,

dataOffset = 17

dataOffset = 34

dataOffset = 51

If you instead have a width of 800, the offsets will look like this:

dataOffset = 0,

dataOffset = 41

dataOffset = 82

dataOffset = 123

Hence, less width will give a more inexact scale (more data is skipped) thus the result will be as in your image.

If you take a file with a longer silcene in the middle and perform scaling, you will see that it will still render more correct.

Hope this explaines why you get the result you get.

Great to see this implemented.

I will suggest just two little improvements:
1. Update the slider multiple times a second, to get a smooth movement. (I think 5 times should be enough.)
2. Since most audio tracks are stereo, it would be nice to see two channels.

And I have one additional idea:
I. Let me select between waveform and spectrum.

Emil Weiss wrote:
Sorry that is NOT a WaveForm that is a Spectrum

I don't know if this has been changed, but in the latest build this indeed is a waveform and not a spectrum. You simply don't see the wave, because there are multiple minutes condensed to a very small area.

The upper part shows the waveform, while the lower part shows the according spectrum.

@Mikael:

Is there no quote function in this forum?

@Sven: No quote functions what I'm aware of but possible something that can be configured. I will have to ask Fredrik about that.

For new feature requests, please open new reports since this one is marked as "implemented".

By adding them as new requests it will allow us to not loose track of addendums to features already implemented.

>>Since most audio tracks are stereo, it would be nice to see two channels. 

This is a combined view, the upper part is the left channel and the lower part is the right channel.

>>>>Since most audio tracks are stereo, it would be nice to see two channels. 

>>This is a combined view, the upper part is the left channel and the lower part is the right channel.

Then I have no idea what I'm looking at... A stereo waveform looks like this:

Does it only show the volume units?

Login or Signup to post a comment