I didn't use HMM for a while now, and today I did a clean new setup of version 13.6.15163.0 on a brand new Laptop (windows 10 pro 64Bit).
1. the default setup of many list views is bad. I attached some screens, releases-carousel.jpg, releases-split view.jpg and playlist.jpg. all those view show track in a list form, but in all these views the column for the track name is disabled by default. You only see artist and album name, that makes no sense for a track list.
2. The custom nodes in the music explorer can not be configured. If I open Options/Music explorer, select one of the "user defined" nodes and click on edit, I get "Unable to customize node". See music explorer- custom nodes.jpg.
3. as in every version before, localization is incomplete. I use german language, and there are many entries that are not localized. I attached localization-choose columns.jpg and localization-menu.jpg to show a few.
>>>>as in every version before, localization is incomplete.
>>This is unfortunately a problem. Translations tends to be a bit behind (we are not doing them ourselves).
>>We will try to improve this for a future release.
The problem here is, that all translations are "hard-coded" into the software...
Having a solution to load new translations from a file, would allow to offer downloadable translations, that are only a few hours / days behind the official release.
>>The problem here is, that all translations are "hard-coded" into the software...
Texts are separated per language to be localizable, but they are compiled into the application as resources.
They need to be resources for performance reasons so that each view can preload texts per languages quickly.
Translating Helium is simple and can be made with Zeta Resource editor (a free tool) or a similar tool as described here:
As soon as we get new translations, we build and release new versions (this takes just a few minutes), but the problem is that the translators has not been active for a while.
>>As soon as we get new translations, we build and release new versions (this takes just a few minutes),
>>but the problem is that the translators
has not been active for a while.
So you confirm, that you need to create a new build to include the new translations...
I know a lot of software that can import translations on the fly which is the quicker way when I do a new translation, since I can see where a translatable string belongs and if it's translated correctly and if it has a proper length.
I've done a few translations for you, and (at least to me) it's a pain to do them. I never knew if a translation was suitable and fitting in.
If I could import them on the fly I could test them and adjust them before they are published - without any delay* when sending the translations to you and waiting to receive a new build from you.
And with an import feature I could simply publish a link here in the forums to the new translations-file.
* I admit you are very quick in creating a new build and sending them, but there's still a much bigger delay as if I could simply import it locally... ;-)
Thanks for your feedback.
A couple of questions follows below:
>>You only see artist and album name, that makes no sense for a track list.
Which specific columns are you missing? (Please note that they can be customized either via View > Select columns or by right-clicking the column headers)
>>The custom nodes in the music explorer can not be configured.
We have not yet been able to reproduce this issue, but will continue to analyse it.
>>as in every version before, localization is incomplete.
This is unfortunately a problem. Translations tends to be a bit behind (we are not doing them ourselves). We will try to improve this for a future release.
as mentioned in my initial post, in a tracklist I would like to see the column with the song title. None of the views for which I added the screens contain the song title by default, but all of them list tracks. for me a track list makes no sense without the song title, especially for a track list of an album or the playlist.
OK my initial post was unclear in this point, I wrote track name, in fact I had the song title name in mind.
As it is now (and earlier mentioned) we cannot change to on-demand loaded files due to performance issues.
It might be possible that we re-review this for the next major version, but for 13.x we will stay with compiled resources.
What we have done now to simplify things a little bit is that the translations are exposed as an open GitHub project:
Anyone can download and edit the files from there, and any changes that are commited will automatically be included in our next build.
Alternatively (if you aren't aware of Git), you can just download the files from there (always the most recent), edit them as you like and mail the changes to us.