Start a new topic
Answered

Shuffle Play without playlist

Hello,

Up to now I did not find a possibility to play songs ramdomly without using a playlist.

As an example I want to choose the Genre "Pop" or a "Year", and then I want to play all the tracks of this genre or of this year randomly.

Could you please tell me if this is possible?

Regards,
Patric

Best Answer

You could solve it by either create a Smart playlist which is sorted randomly or add a lot of items from a specific genre (for example) to the Play queue and then shuffle the Play queue.

I would recommend to go with a Smart playlist though.

Answer

You could solve it by either create a Smart playlist which is sorted randomly or add a lot of items from a specific genre (for example) to the Play queue and then shuffle the Play queue.

I would recommend to go with a Smart playlist though.

Hello Mikael,

thanks for your answer. I will try your suggestion.

Regards,
Patric

OK, I've created a common playlist and a Smart playlist. The "Smart" playlist option seems to be a good feature, but I've got one more question.

For the common playlist it is possible to shuffle it by right clicking on the list. But this feature is not available at Smart playlists. Did I miss something again?

How is it possible to sort a Smart playlist ramdomly?

Patric

Hi,

Smart playlists can either be sorted with static values or dynamically (per-select) if you specify "selected by Random" for example.

Please note that a dynamic Smart playlist may or will change it's contents per each select.

One way to "work-around" that is to:

1) Select a Smart Playlist

2) Create a Playlist with all the resulting contents.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

thanks again for your help.

I missed the "Random" feature in the "Modify Smart playlist" interface. Moreover it seems like the "Selection: Random" option only works if I limit the Smart playlist, too (e.g. number tracks, time) - but that's no problem for me.

You can not use the different "selection" options without activating the "limit" box.

Regards,
Patric

>> You can not use the different "selection" options without activating the "limit" box. 

Yes, that's correct and it works like designed. 

If you do not limit it, it will simply take all results in the default sort order. 

If you would like to not limit it but still use shuffle, use some extermely high limiter that will not be reached, for example "2500 hours"

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Altogether this is really a great software, and I'm looking forward to future versions.

Thanks again for the support,

Patric

Thanks Patric!

Login or Signup to post a comment