Before importing a Helium 11 database into Helium
Helium in the following text is refered to as Helium 13.
- Make sure that Helium 11 is installed on the same computer as Helium.
- Make sure that Helium 11 is configured to use the database that you want to import into Helium. The import feature can import data from any of the supported database types (the default SQL Server Compact, MySQL and SQL Server).
- The Helium 11 database needs to be upgraded to the most recent Helium 11 version.
- If possible, delete users that are no longer needed in Helium 11. This will improve performance during importing.
- Make sure that Helium is connected to the database that you want to import into. The import feature can import data info any of the supported database types (the default SQL Server Compact, MySQL and SQL Server).
- The Helium database needs to be entirely empty.
- If you are importing from and/or to a MySql database, be sure that your my.ini file is correctly configured. There are various tips available on the Internet which describe a MySql setup for large bulk operations. Also, a tip is to restart the MySql service before the start of the import.
- Click here to read more details about configuration of MySql/MariaDb
- User categories, podcasts and radio channels are not imported since they are not supported in Helium.
Preparations for importing album and artist pictures
It might not be possible to import all pictures from Helium 11 since Helium uses a different way of handling pictures. In Helium 11, picture thumbnails were stored in the Helium database and shown throughout the program. This had a performance impact as well as a quality limitation (pictures were only stored in 128x128 pixels). It also made the database file grow significantly which had an impact on the size of a Helium backup file. In Helium, pictures are instead read from a folder on the hard drive which speeds things up.
Helium will successfully be able to import and show pictures that are currently available on the hard drive. You can verify whether your pictures will be correctly imported from Helium 11 by:
- In Helium 11, open Options (CTRL-O).
- Go to the Views > Artists page.
- Select the Indicate if original artist picture is missing option.
- Go to the Views > Albums page.
- Select the Indicate if original album picture is missing option.
- Click OK to save and close the Options window.
If you go to the Album or Artist views, missing pictures will be marked with a red cross icon. You will need to replace these pictures with a file on your computer in order to make them show in Helium, after importing the database. You can also chose to correct the pictures in Helium , of course.
To start importing your Helium 11 database into Helium:
- Close Helium 11.
- Start Helium.
- Click on the File > Import from Helium 11 menu option.
- Verify that the details in the dialog that shows are correct.
- Click OK.
If you experience problems during import
- In Helium 11, create a new database of the same type as the database you would like to import to Helium
- In Helium 11, start Library management
- Select Import and then the database type you would like to import from (e.g. your Helium 11 database is a MySql database, then select "Import Helium Music Manager MySql database"
- Select your original Helium 11 database from the dialog that appears