Start a new topic
Answered

Is Helium Tag Safe?

I tag all my music manually, and am very protective of music players that mess with tags without user intervention.

Does Helium alter any tags when you use it without user intention?

Also. Many years ago, I tried Helium, and I ended up with thousands of JPG files strewn throughout my music files which I had to clean up. Can this be prevented from happening again?

Best Answer

Hello,

Yes Helium should not write any tags unless you tell it to do so.

When you add your music to Helium's library tags will only be read - nothing will be written.

After that when working with Helium, tags will only be written when you perform some operation that is ment to change tags.

The only case when it will happen automatically is if you are using Helium Streamer and rate a file, that changes will be written to tags (but it's really a tagging operation after all).

Regarding pictures, you can control how Helium should manage pictures via options, by default it will extract pictures to a specific folder (depending if you have chosen to extract pictures from tags)

Thanks Mikael.

Answer

Hello,

Yes Helium should not write any tags unless you tell it to do so.

When you add your music to Helium's library tags will only be read - nothing will be written.

After that when working with Helium, tags will only be written when you perform some operation that is ment to change tags.

The only case when it will happen automatically is if you are using Helium Streamer and rate a file, that changes will be written to tags (but it's really a tagging operation after all).

Regarding pictures, you can control how Helium should manage pictures via options, by default it will extract pictures to a specific folder (depending if you have chosen to extract pictures from tags)

Login or Signup to post a comment