Helium 14.2 now available

A minor update for Helium 14.2 is now available.

This release comes with extended warning support in the Rename tool, component updates and bug fixes.

Download the new release from:

https://www.imploded.com 

I have tried the trial version of Helium today and previously too but it always has these issues:

1. Stuck at adding files to library

2. Can not search by mood, tempo, any other column if I want .

3. Player crash with few audio files when playback finish and move to next file.

You don't even mention your email address on the portal so anyone can contact you and report you bugs!

Lookwise the software is good but underlying functionality is too buggy/slow

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

>> 1. Stuck at adding files to library 

Problems with adding files can depend on multiple things;

-Broken or partially broken files

-Broken or partially broken tags

-Tags that are not following standards

We continiously try to improve the file-reading handling to avoid problematic files as much as possible.

This is generally made when users send us files with known problems (that can be read via the log for example).

So if it is of interest, you are welcome to contact us and we will give you further assistance in this topic.

(See link below)

>> 2. Can not search by mood, tempo, any other column if I want . 

By using the Advanced search (not included in the free version) you can search on any column.

>> 3. Player crash with few audio files when playback finish and move to next file. 

This is often related to question number one.

>> You don't even mention your email address on the portal so anyone can contact you and report you bugs! 

We use a support-ticket system instead of emails to avoid that emails are missing/forgotten.

When you fill in a support ticket, you will get email notifications and be able to give further feedback to us via email.

To open a support ticket, visit this link:

http://imploded.freshdesk.com/

Hope this helps.

I've tried importing/playing same set of music folders with Mediamonkey, MusicBee and Helium; only Helium stuck/crashed and other players imported/played flawlessly without any errors. So, maybe they are handling the files in different way.

>> So, maybe they are handling the files in different way. 

Yes, most likely since we do not any external-libs for reading tags (not sure about if MediaMonkey/MusicBee uses any public libraries).

But as mentioned earlier, you are welcome to take contact with us and we can assist you further with this case.

Since I have the problem that Helium crashes with a few files during playback and moving to the next file,

I have a question to the following comments:

Problems with adding files can depend on multiple things;

-Broken or partially broken files

-Broken or partially broken tags

-Tags that are not following standards

How can I check the files?

Are there any tools to see if the file is broke, the tags are broken or not following the standards?

Thanks and regards

Maik

Hi Maik,

>>How can I check the files?

>>Are there any tools to see if the file is broke, the tags are broken or not following the standards?

Generally, totally broken files will not be added to Helium's library. During the add process Helium will log files with problem to an error log.

After the adding is completed you will be informed of this, if it has occured.

For MPEG and FLAC files you can use the Analyse files tool to see if the audio files are damaged or if incorrect tags exists.

Helium has a system that's forgiving, it will always try to load as much data as possible for a tag, so if it contains unknown/incorrect used tag-frames there's a chance that these specific frames will be ignored but the rest will be loaded.

When we receive problematic files, we will generally use tools which we have created to do multiple tests trying to see what's not correct in comination with manual analysing of tag frames with a hex-editor.

If we find cases that are not correct but that we can handle, we will add new rules that helps our engine to know how to handle similar scenarios in the future.

Commonly known issues we have seen is that files have been tagged with incorrect tag-frame lengths, missing null-terminators and incorrect character sets

So in summary, if you have files that you suspect is not fully correct but you cannot identify the specific problem yourself, please share the problematic files with us and we will do our tests described above for the files.

Hope this helps.

A bit update on the original issue Anas had:

We located which file that caused the issue during add and Anas was very kind to send it to us. 

After a bit of analysing through hex-editors we could see that the file had a .ogg extension (Ogg vorbis), but it was actually an Opus file.

Helium does not yet support Opus files, but might do in the future.

For now we will correct Helium so that it will properly be able to skip Opus files during adding and therefore not hang.

As a token of our appreciation for the help we got from Anas, he got a free Helium license.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment