Start a new topic

Slow caching during application start.

Hello. I have noticed lately that when I start up the Helium application it can take up to 2 minutes to bring me to a place I can interact with the GUI interface.

The circular progress bar in the beginning says it is caching tracks.


Could this be due to my MariaDB settings not being optimal?

Here is my.ini

 

[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 10.5/data
port=3306
innodb_buffer_pool_size=4070M
lower_case_table_names=1
innodb_log_file_size=500M
innodb_log_buffer_size=800M
max_allowed_packet=64M
wait_timeout=7000
[client]
port=3306
plugin-dir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 10.5/lib/plugin

 My Computer is a new Alienware machine with a SSDD 

But my Library is on a direct attached RAID with over 370,000 tracks.


Is my database configured optimally  for my quantity of tracks?


Thank you for your time



No direct input here, since configs highly depends on installations, but I personally noticed major slowdowns when:


-Updragded from MariaDB 10.1.x to 10.2.36

-Even worse, when upgraded from MySql 8.0.11 to 8.0.22. 


MySql 8.0.22 became horrible slow, not sure why, and I solved it by reverting to 8.0.11.


Possibly other users can share better input to this topic.

Since the last official Helium 14.8 caching is really slow - my MariaDB installation hasn't been changed since... I don't know when... I'm on MariaDB 10.1.32.


Also "host.RemoteCalls.UpdateFiletype(sourceFile, destFile)" in scripts is really slow - but I guess it's caused by new caching after the update?!

For a good month, I have noticed exactly the same problems as Sven Matzerath. Almost 2 minutes at startup. 1 month ago 1 minute max Hmm14 was open.

When adding music Hm14 hangs for 1 minute 47 seconds on "Rebuilding cache". for 1 file as for 10 or 1000 ....

1 month ago, Hmm14 took no more than about 30 seconds max for adding 10. 20 or 100 musics ...

FYI:

I have MariaDB 10.5.8,

Microprocessor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

System memory: 32 GB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

ST4000DM004-2CV104 3726.02 GB

kinds regards


1 person likes this

We are currently analysing this. 

As mentioned earlier, upgrading of MariaDb and MySql to a certain version seems to be one related issue.

Another issue we suspect is that the updated official MySql drivers (since no code has been changed) might be one of the issues.

W'll keep you updated on this topic.


2 people like this

I posted a video showing how long it takes with a timer and showing meters such as CPU GPU and disk activity.


Hope it helps.


https://youtu.be/lVSSAOclPMU



1 person likes this

Experiencing the same issue as the guys above.

I'm currently using MySql 8.0.18 on Win10 platform to pull Helium data over network.

I have tried various versions of MySql 8 but the same issues remain :(

Also setup a clean install of Window 10 & MySql on ESXi platform ... same issues.


Its pretty frustrating, more so when using houskeeping script to update mp3 to Flac as it can take over 2 minute per track to update :(

It seems like reverting the official MySql driver a couple of updates seems to help.

If you are interested in testing a version with this change, please open a support ticket.


1 person likes this

Thanks Mikael, that worked for me :)

Great to hear Alan, thanks for letting us know.

Good news. With the new version Helium_14.9.16650.0 the startup time is reduced from 2 minutes to 29 seconds.

The time to add musics has been reduced from 1 minute 47 to 23 seconds.

Thank you very much, good reaction. have a good weekend,


The performance issues shall be solved with the new update of Helium 14.9 which was released today.


1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment